St. Francis de Sales - St. Stephen School is dedicated to a philosophy of building a Catholic educational community among students, teachers and parents. We strongly encourage each student to nurture his or her talents and virtues in imitation of Jesus Christ.
Catholic education in the Geneva area has a long and storied history of over 100 years. St. Francis - St. Stephen School continues that strong tradition by offering parents a choice in education. The basis of our school's existence is the core belief that each person is created in the image of God and is, thus, worthy of love and respect. Our students stand out in a crowd as living that belief.
St. Francis - St. Stephen School has always endeavored to exceed New York State learning standards within the context of Catholic identity. We strive to dig deeper and to have our students learn higher level skills via inquiry based and experiential learning. However, we also place an emphasis on mastering the basic foundational skills that are often neglected in favor of newer trends that come and go in education. Classes are small, safe, and nurturing. Expectations are high and our students rise to meet them. A variety of extracurricular activities and team sports are offered. St. Francis - St. Stephen School offers a high quality Catholic education addressing the whole child.
History and Vision
St. Francis de Sales School founded in 1862, and St. Stephen School in the early 1900’s consolidated in 1982 to become one Catholic Elementary school in Geneva, New York. For the first 100 years, the Sisters of St. Joseph primarily staffed both schools. In the early 1950’s lay teachers were hired on staff with increasing numbers over the next 60 years. The Diocese of Rochester Department of Catholic Schools, under the auspices of the Most Reverend Bishop Salvatore Matano and Superintendent of Schools Dr. Anthony Cook, currently oversees our programs.
St. Francis de Sales - St. Stephen School is housed on the Elmwood Avenue campus of Our Lady of Peace Parish. In addition to the 26 classrooms within the building, the school has use of De Sales High School gymnasium for physical education and sports programs.
St. Francis de Sales - St. Stephen School has a computer and science lab available for classes at all levels. In addition, all classrooms have wireless internet access and interactive white boards. The school maintains two computer carts with laptop computers, all with wireless internet access. Two years ago, the school was awarded a grant from the Wyckoff Education Foundation. With this grant and the assistance of the Fr. Michael McHale Memorial Fund, administered by the local Knights of Columbus Hibernian Society, the school has purchased Chromebooks for the individual use of each of our middle school students. Our technology program is self sustaining in that it is a rent to own program. Families pay an annual technology fee, which will enable us to purchase laptops for each new cohort of students entering sixth grade; the students will be able to take their computers with them upon graduation. In the near future, we hope to expand the one-to-one program into the intermediate grades. Formal technology classes are provided to each student in grade 3 - 8.