St. Francis de Sales – St. Stephen School offers families an authentic Catholic education rooted in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. We have an early childhood program that serves 3 and 4 year old children and serve students in Kindergarten to 8th grade.
Our dedicated faculty guides students to be disciples who know and live the Catholic faith; inspires a learning community to foster academic excellence; and empowers young people to fulfill the two great commandments of Jesus Christ by loving God and being service oriented, responsible, and self-disciplined neighbors to others.
St. Francis de Sales - St. Stephen School is dedicated to a philosophy of building a Catholic educational community among students, teachers and parents. We strongly encourage each student to nurture his or her talents and virtues in imitation of Jesus Christ.
Catholic education in the Geneva area has a long and storied history of over 100 years. St. Francis - St. Stephen School continues that strong tradition by offering parents a choice in education. The basis of our school's existence is the core belief that each person is created in the image of God and is, thus, worthy of love and respect. Our students stand out in a crowd as living that belief.
St. Francis - St. Stephen School has always endeavored to exceed New York State learning standards within the context of Catholic identity. We strive to dig deeper and to have our students learn higher level skills via inquiry based and experiential learning. However, we also place an emphasis on mastering the basic foundational skills that are often neglected in favor of newer trends that come and go in education. Classes are small, safe, and nurturing. Expectations are high and our students rise to meet them. A variety of extracurricular activities and team sports are offered. St. Francis - St. Stephen School offers a high quality Catholic education addressing the whole child.
St. Francis de Sales School founded in 1862, and St. Stephen School in the early 1900’s consolidated in 1982 to become one Catholic Elementary school in Geneva, New York. For the first 100 years, the Sisters of St. Joseph primarily staffed both schools. In the early 1950’s lay teachers were hired on staff with increasing numbers over the next 60 years. The Diocese of Rochester Department of Catholic Schools, under the auspices of the Most Reverend Bishop Salvatore Matano and Superintendent of Schools James Tauzel, currently oversees our programs.